In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the United States welcomed with opened arms adventurous immigrants. Many of them migrated to northeastern Minnesota in waves from Germany, Ireland, England, Italy, Croatia, and Scandinavia, to name a few. With them, they brought a strong ethnic identity, a solid work ethic, and a dream for a better life for themselves and their families.
The area was rich with natural resources and many of the early settlers found employment in the timber and mining industries. Logging began about 1898 and mining began in 1902 at the Kinney mine. In 1903, 32,252 tons of ore were shipped from this mine, located in the Mesabi Iron Range. Others became store owners who provided goods and services to the residents of Kinney and Spina.
In 1896, the Town of Scott, which later would become the Town of Great Scott, was organized by 27 legal voters and residents of Township 58 Range 19. The first town meeting to elect town officials was held on November 26, 1896, at the home of Chas. M. Scott.